The NBA Draft Lottery takes place on Tuesday night with plenty at stake. All 14 teams are hoping to win and get the number one overall pick. The victor gets the shot at drafting Cade Cunningham, who is drawing Luka Doncic comparisons. The Dallas Mavericks will not be featured in the lottery, but three other teams could lose their selection if the lottery does not go their way.
The NBA will select the top four overall picks with the remaining teams being slotted fifth to 14th in inverse order of their regular-season record. The Rockets had the worst record in the league, but need their pick to fall in the top four to keep it. Minnesota has a top-three protection on their selection or it heads to Golden State. The Bulls owe their pick to the Magic unless they jump into the top four.
Here is a look at how to watch, the odds, and how the 2021 NBA Draft Lottery will impact the Dallas Mavericks.
How to watch NBA Draft Lottery
Start time: 7:30 p.m. CT or 8:30 p.m. ET
How to watch: ESPN
Watch online: Watch ESPN
NBA Draft Lottery odds to pick first overall
1. Houston Rockets- 14.0 percent (52.1 percent to stay in top four and keep their pick)
2. Detroit Pistons – 14.0 percent (52.1 percent to stay in top four)
3. Orlando Magic- 14.0 percent (52.1 percent to stay in top four)
4. Oklahoma City Thunder- 11.5 percent (45.1 percent to stay in top four)
5. Cleveland Cavaliers – 11.5 percent (45.1 percent to move into the top four)
6. Minnesota Timberwolves – 9.0 percent (27.6 percent to keep their pick)
7. Toronto Raptors – 7.5 percent (32.0 percent to move into the top four)
8. Chicago Bulls – 4.5 percent (20.2 percent to move into the top four and keep their pick)
9. Sacramento Kings- 4.5 percent (20.2 percent to move into the top four)
10. New Orleans Pelicans – 4.5 percent (20.2 percent to move into the top four)
11. Charlotte Hornets – 1.8 percent (8.5 percent to move into the top four)
12. San Antonio Spurs – 1.7 percent (8.1 percent to move into the top four)
13. Indiana Pacers – 1.0 percent (4.7 percent to move into the top four)
14. Golden State Warriors- 0.5 percent (2.4 percent to move into the top four)
NBA Draft lottery: Impacts on the Dallas Mavericks
The Mavs do not have a pick in the 2021 NBA Draft. They owe their first-round pick to the New York Knicks from the Kristaps Porzingis trade. It is set at 21st overall. Dallas traded their second-round selection to New Orleans at the deadline to acquire J.J. Redick.
They do not want to see the division rival Spurs, Rockets, or Pelicans win the lottery on Tuesday night. Dallas would prefer an Eastern Conference team get the top selection. June 22 could change the history of multiple franchises, so the Mavs will be watching closely.
The Mavs could trade into the draft before July 29. Expect them to be active and aggressive this offseason after getting their new leadership in place. They must upgrade the roster around Luka Doncic. Stay tuned for a wild offseason Dallas Mavericks fans.