The Monta Ellis era in Dallas is officially over.
The team’s leading scorer opted out of the final season of his three-year deal, and despite his overall strong play over the last two years the Mavericks plan on moving in another direction.
As expected there have been mixed emotions from those who follow the Mavericks.
There are those who are sad to see him go:
Then there are those looking forward to a revamped roster:
"K bye then Monta Ellis ✌"
Even fans of other teams took notice, with Pacer and Heat faithful lobbying hardest to get Monta on their roster:
Wherever Monta Ellis lands he’ll surely be as polarizing as he’s been in Golden State, Milwaukee, and Dallas. He’s a dynamic scorer and plays as hard as anyone in the league, which the fans appreciate. But his defensive lapses and long two-pointers will wear on some, especially if the team isn’t winning.
But I think we can all agree the Mavericks probably wouldn’t have made the playoffs these last two seasons without Monta on board. Here’s hoping he finds a good fit.
** THE NBA DRAFT IS TOMORROW! STAY IN THE KNOW WITH OUR DRAFT PROFILES ON POTENTIAL MAVERICK SELECTIONS! **
More from The Smoking Cuban
- Dallas Mavericks: Tyrell Terry injures groin in summer league loss to Jazz
- Mavericks: How to maximize Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis pairing
- Dallas Mavericks: Did they do enough this offseason to jump into title contention?
- Mavericks: What to watch for as Dallas faces Utah Jazz in summer league
- Dallas Mavericks rumors: Bulls want first round pick for Lauri Markkanen