The NBA Draft is set for Thursday, June 25th. The Dallas Mavericks hold the 21st pick in the first round and the 52nd pick of the second.
We’ll look at possible prospects that could be within the Mavericks’ range.
Tyus Jones: PG – Duke, Freshman
Many draft analysts rank Tyus Jones as a top five PG for this year’s draft class. Dallas could very realistically land Jones with the 21st pick if he falls to them.
More from The Smoking Cuban
- Dallas Mavericks: Did they do enough this offseason to jump into title contention?
- Mavericks: What to watch for as Dallas faces Utah Jazz in summer league
- Dallas Mavericks rumors: Bulls want first round pick for Lauri Markkanen
- Mavericks: Teammates look to collect debts after Luka Doncic’s extension
- Dallas Mavericks: What Tyson Chandler would bring as a coach
On June 1st, the Mavericks hosted a workout featuring Tyus Jones and a few other potential draftees, indicating that Dallas has legitimate interest in the young guard. With the inevitable departure of the Mavs’ current starting floor general, Dallas will likely look to draft a young, energetic guard who can space the floor adequately. In short, the Mavericks are looking for a player like Tyus Jones, a 19-year-old stud with a high basketball IQ.
The only concerns are Rick Carlisle’s stigma of not integrating younger players into his rotation and the Mavericks’ reputation for not being able to do anything with draft picks (see Jared Cunningham, Shane Larkin, Ricky Ledo, anyone not named Jae Crowder or Josh Howard).
- 19 years old
- 6’1″, 185 pounds
- 2014 averages: 39 games – 11.8 points, 41.7% fg, 37.9% 3-pt, 5.6 assists, 1.7 steals
- High IQ
- Great turnover/assist ratio
- Unselfish player
- Can knock down shots from behind the arc
- Pick and roll monster
- Great FT shooter (88%)
- Intangibles: Confidence, maturity, clutch, and coachable
- Lacks quickness/explosiveness
- Not the best off-hand finisher
- Relies heavily on help defense
- Poor defender
- Combination of size and lack of elite athleticism could hurt his game
- Will likely have issues finishing inside at the next level
More on Tyus Jones can be found at