The 2022 NBA Draft lottery takes place on May 17 in Chicago. The Dallas Mavericks are not part of the lottery as they are gearing up to face the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference Finals, but that does not mean there are not massive implications.
Every team has representatives in Chicago this week for the draft combine, which began on Monday. The lottery is part of that event where the 14 teams that missed the playoffs will have a chance to get the number one pick. Dallas has their first-round pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, and they will select 26th overall on June 23.
No NBA fan will want to miss the lottery on Tuesday night, so here is a look at how to watch, the odds, and why Mavericks fans should tune in.
How to watch the 2022 NBA Draft lottery
Start time: 7:00 p.m. CT or 8:00 p.m. ET
How to watch: ESPN (national)
Watch online: Watch ESPN
What is the 2022 NBA Draft lottery?
The lottery allows all 14 teams that missed the playoffs a chance of getting the number one overall pick. In 2019, the NBA flattened the odds to give the three teams with the worst regular-season records a 14 percent chance of getting the number one overall selection.
The top four picks will be selected in the lottery with the remaining ten teams drafting in the inverse order of their regular-season record. That means the team with the worst record in the NBA can select no worse than fifth overall.
2022 NBA Draft lottery odds
1. Houston Rockets- 14.0 percent (52.1 percent to stay in top four)
2. Orlando Magic- 14.0 percent (52.1 percent to stay in top four)
3. Detroit Pistons- 14.0 percent (52.1 percent to stay in top four)
4. Oklahoma City Thunder- 12.5 percent (48.1 percent to stay in top four)
5. Indiana Pacers- 10.5 percent (42.1 percent to move into the top four)
6. Portland Trail Blazers- 9.0 percent (37.2 percent to move into top four)
7. Sacramento Kings- 7.5 percent (32.0 percent to move into the top four)
8. Los Angeles Lakers- 6.0 percent (26.3 percent to move into the top four)
*Lakers selection heads to New Orleans if it is in the top ten (99.6 percent) or Memphis (0.4 percent) if falls 11th or 12th.
9. San Antonio Spurs- 4.5 percent (20.3 percent to move into the top four)
10. Washington Wizards- 3.0 percent (13.9 percent to move into the top four)
11. New York Knicks- 2.0 percent (9.4 percent to move into the top four)
12. Oklahoma City Thunder (via LA Clippers)- 1.5 percent (7.1 percent to move into top four)
13. Charlotte Hornets- 1.0 percent (4.8 percent to move into the top four)
14. Cleveland Cavaliers- 0.5 percent (2.4 percent to move into the top four)
Why Dallas Mavericks fans should watch the 2022 NBA Draft lottery
It was just four years ago that the Mavs and their fans were watching intently as they hoped to land the number one overall pick after having the third-worst record in the NBA. Instead, Dallas fell to fifth, but it all worked out. They traded up to third to draft Luka Doncic in a franchise-altering move that almost immediately took them out of the lottery.
Dallas does not want to see the rival Rockets or Spurs get the number one overall pick on May 17. Fellow division rival, the New Orleans Pelicans, could draft first if the Lakers selection vaults to number one.
Mavericks fans should be rooting for the Orlando Magic or Indiana Pacers to win the lottery. Longtime head coach Rick Carlisle is now leading the Pacers, and former Mavs assistant Jamahl Mosley is the head man in Orlando. Both teams have a greater than 40 percent chance of having a top four selection.
The draft lottery can literally change a team’s fortunes overnight. Every team wants the chance to draft Chet Holmgren, Paolo Banchero, and Jabari Smith. Tune in to see who lands the top four picks on Tuesday night.