The Dallas Mavericks head into the offseason and free agency with many questions looming about the roster.
The fan in me is hoping that the Mavericks take long look about the future of the team. I pray that decisions are made to further help the success post -Dirk era.
One thing always scared me, though. Fans really never had a true say so when it came to free agency and draft day activities and it’s understandable. What kind of insider knowledge could we know about players when we watch from our televisions and favorite bars?
Being a fan nowadays is tough, and rightfully so. Your ups and downs hinge on the success your team has during the season. The wins give you bragging rights; the losses take a piece of your team’s pride.
But the Mavericks are in a bit of a situation. They know that Dirk has one foot out the door and they are looking to see what’s next. Well, I have a few good opinions on what possibly should happen (from a fan’s point of view).
First and foremost, Barnes, Noel, Curry, Yogi, Barea and Powell are locks. Good, young, quick talent that can move the ball around, create shots and play defense. These guys would quite possibly be your staples for the next era. Do what you need to do to keep them. Show them the money.
I love Matthews; but more production is needed to keep me sold. Some say that he may be good trade bait, but when you look at his recent injuries and struggles, one may think different. Thing is, he can still be explosive and effective.
Finney-Smith reminds me of an ‘Al-Farouq Aminu’ type player. Good 3 and D and can be a force help down the stretch. Yea, just like Aminu….who was in a Mavericks uniform.
And no disrespect to the other players, but I believe they could be your trade bait or possible cuts to make room for upgrades. Even though the young core is set, veteran leadership is still needed to succeed in this business.
With the NBA Draft around the corner, I hear the need of a PG in the air and I believe that would be good. Someone to compliment Seth Curry as the SG. A Yogi/Barea second team backfield runs circles around defenders.
Personally, I don’t think getting a player with the same qualities as Dirk as the smartest play. I love Dirk, but he lacked rim protection. Lauri Markkanen seems to be the exact same player and time only knows if it’s the same show.
More from The Smoking Cuban
- Dallas Mavericks land Boban Marjanovic on two-year $7 million deal
- Dallas Mavericks struggle, show flashes in summer league loss to Sixers
- Dallas Mavericks: Luka Doncic signs massive 5-year extension
- Dallas Mavericks: 5 post-free agency trades to consider
- Mavericks: What to watch for as Dallas face the Sixers in summer league
I end to say this:
- Draft a PG who can make an immediate impact in the starting lineup. Guys like De’Aaron Fox or Markelle Fultz IF they are still on the board.
- There are PLENTY of PF’s with rim protection that can help Noel down low. Names such as Zach Randolph, Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic, even JaVale McGee (who also was in a Mavericks uniform)
- Put a bid in for Blake Griffin. What do you have to lose?
- Make the necessary room, create the necessary cap space and put together a ‘competitive’ team that can grow.
At this point, it’s not about championships. It’s about getting back to the playoffs on a consistent basis. Being respected as a team that can be threatening no matter who they play. For too long, the Mavericks have been deemed as a weak, soft team.
They finally have a chance to make some strong moves. Let’s pray the basketball gods see the same.