According to ESPN’s Tim MacMahon, Deron Williams will miss the remaining of the preseason with a calf strain.
Ever since Deron Williams was bought out of his contract in Brooklyn and signed with the Mavericks in the offseason, Mavs fans have been cautious with their expectations. With a string of injuries over the past couple of years, health is everyone’s biggest concerns.
With Williams sitting out every game of the preseason so far, Mavs fans have been worried about the rumored calf injury that has kept him out. Even though this isn’t the best of news, at least there is some clarity to the situation.
With injuries to Williams and Felton, Dallas has found themselves handing the point guard duties to the likes of Jenkins and Anderson this preseason late in games.
If Deron is not able to go on opening night, we could see Raymond Felton get the start at point guard with Carlisle being known for keeping his bench unit intact to their normal routine. J.J. Barea would be another option to start in his place, with John Jenkins possibly getting minutes at backup point guard.
With Parsons, Matthews, and McGee still grinding to get ready for opening night, the Mavs could find themselves even more short-handed that they imagined. Stay tuned for more news on the Williams injury front.
More from The Smoking Cuban
- Dallas Mavericks: Tyrell Terry injures groin in summer league loss to Jazz
- Mavericks: How to maximize Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis pairing
- Dallas Mavericks: Did they do enough this offseason to jump into title contention?
- Mavericks: What to watch for as Dallas faces Utah Jazz in summer league
- Dallas Mavericks rumors: Bulls want first round pick for Lauri Markkanen