NBA Draft Lottery: Odds, how to watch, and impact on the Dallas Mavericks
The 2020 NBA Draft Lottery takes place on Thursday night. For the first time in a few seasons, the Dallas Mavericks will have nothing to cheer for as the ping pong balls are selected. The Mavs made the playoffs. They will pick 18th and 31st overall in the 2020 NBA Draft. Fans can see all of Dallas’ future draft picks here.
Dallas wants to compete now. It will be interesting to see if that makes them more aggressive in trading their picks for role players that help them immediately. The Mavericks cannot trade their first-round selection until draft night because of the Stepien Rule.
The draft lottery will still have an impact on the Dallas Mavericks. The top four picks in the 2020 draft will be selected. The rest of the order will fall based on their record. Here is a look at everything fans need to know heading into the event.
How to watch the NBA Draft Lottery
Start time: 7:30 p.m. CT or 8:30 p.m. ET
How to watch: ESPN (National)
Watch online: Watch ESPN, Fubo.tv (featuring ESPN)
NBA Draft Lottery odds
Here is a look at the odds of each team winning the lottery and being selected to move up into the top four.
1. Golden State Warriors- 14.0 percent (52.1 percent to stay in top four)
2. Cleveland Cavaliers- 14.0 percent (52.1 percent to stay in top four)
3. Minnesota Timberwolves- 14.0 percent (52.1 percent to stay in top four)
4. Atlanta Hawks- 12.5 percent (48.1 percent to stay in top four)
5. Detroit Pistons- 10.5 percent (42.1 percent to move into the top four)
6. New York Knicks- 9.0 percent (37.2 percent to move into the top four)
7. Chicago Bulls- 7.5 percent (32.0 percent to move into the top four)
8. Charlotte Hornets- 6.0 percent (26.3 percent to move into the top four)
9. Washington Wizards- 4.5 percent (20.3 percent to move into the top four)
10. Phoenix Suns- 3.0 percent (13.9 percent to move into the top four)
11. San Antonio Spurs- 2.0 percent (9.4 percent to move into the top four)
12. Sacramento Kings- 1.3 percent (6.2 percent to move into the top four)
13. New Orleans Pelicans- 1.2 percent (5.7 percent to move into the top four)
14. Memphis Grizzlies*- 0.5 percent (2.4 percent to move into the top four)
The Grizzlies pick goes to Boston unless Memphis moves into the top four in the lottery.
NBA Draft Lottery: Impacts on the Dallas Mavericks
The lottery could have a massive impact on the Mavs. The Golden State Warriors are expected to return to contention next season with a health Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson. Getting the number one pick would only help that cause.
The Suns went undefeated in the bubble and could add another top ten selection to their growing young core. The Pelicans or Spurs jumping into the top four does Dallas no favors.
Ultimately, the Mavericks are in a fantastic spot. They have the best young superstar in the league. Dallas just needs to find the pieces to put around him to make them title contenders. The best is yet to come.
Do not miss the NBA Draft Lottery on Thursday night. The order will be set for the Oct. 16 draft. Fans know that is always one of the most exciting nights of the year, so stay tuned.