Mavericks: Best moments from the rookie season of Dirk Nowitzki
Drops 16 and 12 in game two
It did not take long for Dirk Nowitzki to showcase his incredible talent. In the second game of his rookie season, he secured his first double-double. Nowitzki once again drew the start as the Dallas Mavericks were on the road against the Golden State Warriors. Dirk hit a mid-range jumper on the first possession of the game.
More from The Smoking Cuban
- Mavericks: How to maximize Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis pairing
- Dallas Mavericks: Did they do enough this offseason to jump into title contention?
- Mavericks: What to watch for as Dallas faces Utah Jazz in summer league
- Dallas Mavericks rumors: Bulls want first round pick for Lauri Markkanen
- Mavericks: Teammates look to collect debts after Luka Doncic’s extension
The legend also had his first double-digit scoring quarter when he dropped 11 points in the third against the Warriors.
Dirk finished with 16 points, 12 rebounds, three assists, and one steal in 32.6 minutes. He was six of ten from the field and sank two of his four 3-point attempts.
The Mavericks also picked up their first win of the season. It was a double-overtime thriller and Dallas secured the 102-99 victory. Cedric Ceballos led the Mavs with 26 points and Michael Finley dropped 23.
This was the team’s only win in their first nine games. They were struggling early on, so coach Don Nelson decided to bench Dirk and put Ceballos in the starting five. Nowitzki would only start one more game before April rolled around that season.
Dirk showcased his potential in his second game. It was certainly a memorable performance and the first of many double-doubles in his legendary career.
Next: Dirk drops 20