Dallas Mavericks: Four Trade Down Opportunities in Draft
4.) Portland Trail Blazers
The Portland Trail Blazers currently own three picks in the first round of the 2017 NBA Draft. They will head into Thursday night owning the 15th, 20th and the 26th pick in the draft.
More from The Smoking Cuban
- Dallas Mavericks: Tyrell Terry injures groin in summer league loss to Jazz
- Mavericks: How to maximize Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis pairing
- Dallas Mavericks: Did they do enough this offseason to jump into title contention?
- Mavericks: What to watch for as Dallas faces Utah Jazz in summer league
- Dallas Mavericks rumors: Bulls want first round pick for Lauri Markkanen
Then you look at the cap situation in Portland and grumblings around the league suggest that Portland might be willing to attach a first rounder to shed one of their long-term contracts. But if Dallas trades out of the 9th spot, they would need a nice haul considering the player they could select.
What if Portland came offering all three first rounders for the 9th overall pick? If someone like Jayson Tatum or Lauri Markkanen is on the board at nine and Portland really loves them, would they give up all three picks to move up to nine?
Would Dallas even do it?
Dallas would basically move back six spots and get two more picks at 20 and 26. I’m not sure Dallas would do this deal, but if they are serious about getting younger, a deal like this could be intriguing to some.
Next: Lucky Number Nine Has History
For Dallas to entertain the idea of moving down in the draft it would take a package that would be too hard to refuse…and I simply don’t see that coming on draft night.