Three Trade Rumors the Dallas Mavericks Would Do Well to Avoid
Leading off, I figured it would be a good idea to address the reported trade proposal from the Cleveland Cavaliers. Rumors have come out from the Cavs that they are reportedly interested in Deron Williams and/or Andrew Bogut.
More from The Smoking Cuban
- Dallas Mavericks land Boban Marjanovic on two-year $7 million deal
- Dallas Mavericks struggle, show flashes in summer league loss to Sixers
- Dallas Mavericks: Luka Doncic signs massive 5-year extension
- Dallas Mavericks: 5 post-free agency trades to consider
- Mavericks: What to watch for as Dallas face the Sixers in summer league
The problem with this is that the return value, according to the trade rumors circulating, would not help Dallas out at all. Iman Shumpert is by no means a bad player in the NBA. However, his particular skill set does not help this Mavericks team out one bit.
A defensive specialist with a decent shot is the standard build for our wings right now. Wesley Matthews, Harrison Barnes, and even Justin Anderson has shown glimpses of being that kind of player as well.
Shumpert has also had some questionable moments on the court in his career as well. Generally viewed as maybe not the easiest guy to coach, Shumpert would certainly take some time to develop into someone that Coach Carlisle would be able to mold.
Would he be the worst trade the Mavericks could make? Obviously not, but, as I said earlier, the fact that there are worse things we can do does not make this trade make anymore sense.
Next: Carmelo Anthony