Mar 20, 2015; Charlotte, NC, USA; Virginia Cavaliers guard Justin Anderson (1) during the second half against the Belmont Bruins in the second round of the 2015 NCAA Tournament at Time Warner Cable Arena. Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports
No Bobby Portis. No R.J. Hunter. And certainly no Tyus Jones, as many mock drafts suggested earlier. Instead, the Mavs drafted the athletic swingman Justin Anderson from University of Virginia with the 21st pick in the 2015 NBA Draft.
While this pick doesn’t solve the much-needed Mavericks depth at the point guard position, Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson sure know which player could help the defensive-woes on the perimeter that the Mavericks had last season. Also, when Rick Carlisle says a player could help right away, do not debate with him.
A very capable defender and what we would say a better version of Jae Crowder with a nice 3-point stroke on the offensive end, Anderson will bring more than just an entertainment to American Airlines Center, ready to contribute as a reserve.
We’ll come up with more of Justin Anderson so stay tuned here at The Smoking Cuban.
More from The Smoking Cuban
- Dallas Mavericks: Tyrell Terry injures groin in summer league loss to Jazz
- Mavericks: How to maximize Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis pairing
- Dallas Mavericks: Did they do enough this offseason to jump into title contention?
- Mavericks: What to watch for as Dallas faces Utah Jazz in summer league
- Dallas Mavericks rumors: Bulls want first round pick for Lauri Markkanen