The Dallas Mavericks hold the 21st and 52nd pick of the NBA Draft on June 25th. With holes up and down the roster the Mavericks could go in any direction depending on who’s available.
We’re breaking down potential targets for the Mavericks with UNLV’s Rashad Vaughn the topic of this draft profile.
Jan 17, 2015; San Diego, CA, USA; UNLV Rebels guard Rashad Vaughn (1) is defended by San Diego State Aztecs forward Winston Shepard (13) during the first half at Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
Rashad Vaughn: SG – UNLV, FR
- 18-years old
- 6’5″, 199 lbs
- 2014-15 Averages: 18.3 points, 44.7 FG%, 38.4 3P%, 4.8 rebounds
Rashad Vaughn is a first round prospect for one reason: he can fill it up. As a freshman at UNLV Vaughn flashed his ability to put the ball in the basket in a variety of ways en route to averaging a team-high 18.3 points.
He can score in the pick-and-roll, pulling up in isolation, coming off of screens, and is a sound marksman in catch and shoot situations. And at 6’5″ with a solid frame Vaughn is capable of finishing through contact when he gets to the tin.
Vaughn’s shot selection was questionable at times at UNLV, and though he possesses the physical tools to be a good defender his fundamentals and discipline need work on that end. But he’s the second youngest player in the draft so logic tells us he has a lot of room to grow and rarely does a player so young have the polished repertoire Vaughn possesses.
Vaughn is a bit of a gamble, but he likely has the most upside of anyone who figures to be available in the early 20’s, so if the Mavericks miss out on someone they really want they could take a flier on the high-scorer.
- Refined offensive game
- Floor Spacing Ability (38% on 6.3 3P attempts a game)
- Underrated court vision
- Average wingspan
- Not an “elite” athlete
- Off hand needs work
- Can be a “ball-stopper”
Check out some of his freshman year highlights.
More from The Smoking Cuban
- Dallas Mavericks: Did they do enough this offseason to jump into title contention?
- Mavericks: What to watch for as Dallas faces Utah Jazz in summer league
- Dallas Mavericks rumors: Bulls want first round pick for Lauri Markkanen
- Mavericks: Teammates look to collect debts after Luka Doncic’s extension
- Dallas Mavericks: What Tyson Chandler would bring as a coach