The NBA Draft is set for Thursday, June 26th. The Dallas Mavericks are without a first round pick but hold the 34th and 51st picks in the second round.
We’ll take a look at some second rounders that could be in the Mavericks sights. As well, we’ll look at some borderline and late first rounders who could slide into the second.
Markel Brown, Oklahoma State – Senior
The Mavs have proven they can manage with an undersized shooting guard leading the attack – Monta Ellis. The Mavs will most likely look to add depth at shooting guard and Markel Brown could fit the bill. Unlike Ellis, he isn’t as great a ball handler and passer, resulting in him being a projected mid to late second round pick.
- 22 years old
- 6’3″, 184 pounds
- Shooting Guard
- 2014 Averages: 34 games – 17.2 points, 47.3% fg, 37.9% 3-pt, 5.3 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 1.6 turnovers
- Tremendous athlete who can jump out of the gym
- Improved shooter
- Can score in bunches
- Good finisher, even with contact
- Potential to be a good defender
- Undersized shooting guard
- Not a great ball handler
- Struggles to create for himself
- Struggles to get to the basket, resulting in him taking poor shots
- Despite skills to defend, has shown a lack of effort on that side of the court at times
- Questionable 3-pt range
Previous: Vasilije Micic