The NBA Draft is set for Thursday, June 26th. The Dallas Mavericks are without a first round pick but hold the 34th and 51st picks in the second round.
We’ll take a look at some second rounders that could be in the Mavericks sights. As well, we’ll look at some borderline and late first rounders who could slide into the second.
Vasilije Micic, Mega Vizura – Serbia
The Mavericks are stacked at the point guard position – Jose Calderon, Shane Larkin, Gal Mekel, and Devin Harris (free agent, but expected to re-sign) – So drafting a point guard may not be ideal. That being said, Vasilije Micic could be a great fit for the team. Number one – He’s a good pick-n-roll point guard. Number two – Standing at 6’6″, he could be a good fit next to Monta Ellis, especially on the defensive end. Interestingly he has drawn comparisons to former and current Mavs Jason Kidd and Jose Calderon. He’s projected late first round to mid-second round.
- 20 years old
- 6’6″, 202 pounds
- Point Guard
- 2014 Averages: 25 games – 12.1 points, 46.2% fg, 28.9% 3-pt, 5.8 assists, 3.2 rebounds, 1.8 steals, 3.6 turnovers
- Great size for his position
- Elite passer
- Great court vision
- Effective pick-n-roll ball handler
- High basketball IQ
- Willing defender
- Average athlete at best
- Previously torn ACL a concern
- Inconsistent shooter, especially from 3-pt range
- While great in pick-n-roll, has a tendency to struggle orchestrating set plays
- Struggles defending quicker guards
- Can be overly passive
Previous: Bogdan Bogdanovic