The Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs ask plenty of their small forwards, especially on the boards and defensive end. Whichever forward has a greater impact on the game may swing the outcome in the favor of their respective team.
- Stats: 10.4 points, 48.1% fg, 6.6 rebounds, 1.2 steals
- Pros: Good rebounder. Good Defender. Can guard all 5 positions. Improved 3-pt shooter. Best around the basket.
- Cons: Poor passer. Not a great ball handler, Can’t create for himself or others.
- Responsibilities: Defend, defend, and defend. Marion won’t be asked or counted on to put up big scoring numbers. He’ll be on the court to rebound and defend.
- Stats: 12.8 points, 52.2% fg, 37.9% 3pt, 6.2 rebounds, 1.7 steals
- Pros: Good defender. Can defend multiple positions. Good 3pt shooter. Can post up smaller players and finish inside. Good rebounder. Can push and handle the ball well, especially after gathering a rebound.
- Cons: Lacks true one on one perimeter moves. Can be passive.
- Responsibilities: To be the “do it all” player on the court. Leonard is one of the few players in the league that can have an impact on all phases of the game. The Spurs want him to be aggressive, especially if he has a smaller defender on him.